Future-ish ("we" or "us") respects your privacy and has adopted policies and procedures for ensuring that personal information about visitors ("you") is handled responsibly. This statement describes the privacy practices of Future-ish website (on the Internet at www [dot] thesmartset [dot] org.
This statement includes how we and our associated third parties collect, use and protect personal and personally identifiable information. It also outlines what choices our visitors have about collection and use of this information and how visitors can correct, alter or update this information. This statement does not cover information about you that may be collected through software downloaded from the website.
Future-ish collects information from our visitors at several different points on our website.
- Browsing | Visitors may browse our website, subject to our website Terms of Service, without providing any individually identifiable information.
- Registration | Visitors must register in order to use certain features of our website, such as our weblog and mailing list. During registration, a visitor is required to provide contact information such as name, email address, and mailing address. We use this information to contact visitors about features and services that we believe may be of interest. Registration data may also include geographic and demographic information (such as location, gender or age) and subject matter preferences so that we can effectively tailor editorial content according to interest.
- Requests & Orders | When a visitor asks us to provide information or a service, we request information to enable us to respond to the visitor. This information could include contact information (such as name, email address, and mailing address) and, if applicable, financial, payment, or billing information.
- Profile | Each time you visit our website, our web server receives some basic technical information from your computer, including your Internet protocol (IP) address, domain name, referral data (e.g., the address of the website you visited before clicking through to our website), and browser and platform type. We store this technical information using cookies, log files, and/or third parties to create a profile of our visitors. A profile consists of stored technical information that we keep on individual visitors that details their viewing preferences. These profiles do not contain information that identifies any visitor as an individual person. This information is used to provide offers and improve the content of the site for a visitor, and may be used to customize portions of our website for a visitor or direct certain types of information to a visitor. We may share profile information (without individually identifying information) with third parties.
- Log Files | Like most standard website servers, we use log files to track visitors' access to our website. This includes IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses, etc., are not linked to personally identifiable information. We use Awstats and Webalizer tracking utilities, which utilize log files to analyze visitors' movements on our website.
Communications from Future-ish
- Email Newsletters | If a visitor wishes to subscribe to our email newsletter(s), we must collect registration information, including the visitor's name and email address. Subscribers may unsubscribe to stop receiving these email communications at any time. Please see the "Choice" and "Opt-Out" sections of this policy below.
- Announcement | We occasionally send registered visitors email messages about features on our website, promotions, events, or other information that may be of interest to them.
- Customer Service |
If we need to communicate with a registered visitor, we generally use email, but may use other methods of communication as appropriate, if the visitor supplies such information to us.
- Legal Requirements | Though we make every effort to preserve visitor privacy, we may need to disclose personal information as required by law or if we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding or a court order or legal process served on us, or to assert or defend our legal rights, or to protect us or others from harm to persons or property.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Aggregate Information | We may share aggregated demographic information with other entities such as our funding providers or third parties with whom we have marketing alliances.
- Public Postings | Our website provides the opportunity for visitors to express their opinions and views, in accordance with the standards of conduct in our Terms of Service. Visitors submit information to these forums with the understanding that the information will be made publicly available. For example, statements made in an online discussion forum may be posted as we determine to be appropriate, and this content may be attributed to you. Future-ish exercises its discretion in determining what to post and what to remove. In most cases, we will not actively monitor visitor-submitted content, so visitors should be careful not to post anything that they do not wish to be publicly available. Once information is made publicly available on our website (no matter how long it may remain available), it may be copied or downloaded by other persons, and Future-ish has no control over who may obtain the information or what they may do with it.
- Service Providers | We share personally identifiable information with the companies that provide services for us or our website. For example, the companies that operate our website, maintain our computers, and prepare our mailings need access to information necessary to perform their tasks. Likewise, the companies that administer features on our website, or that provide professional or logistics services to us, need access to information about visitors in order to perform their work for us.
- Choice/Opt-Out | Visitors who no longer wish to receive information from us may opt out of receiving communications by sending an email message to info [at] thesmartset [dot] org with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. Visitors may also opt out by calling 206.325-0886 or by writing to Webmaster, Future-ish, 6519 Earl Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98117.
- Security | We take precautions to protect our visitors' information, including physical, technical, and administrative measures intended to prevent unauthorized access to or use of personally identifiable visitor information.
- Links | This website contains links to other sites that offer their own products, services, and features that may be of interest to Future-ish visitors. However, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our visitors to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information
- Third-Party or Co-branded Features | Future-ish periodically collaborates with other companies to offer special features through our website. Because these offerings are not provided by Future-ish, they are subject to the third party's privacy policies and procedures.
- Correcting and Updating Personal Information | If a visitor's personally identifiable information changes (such as email address, mailing address, or phone number), or if a visitor wishes to remove their information from our systems, we provide a way to correct, update, or delete/deactivate visitors' personally identifiable information. This can be done by making a written, telephone, or email request to Future-ish using one of the methods of contact described below under "Contact Information."
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you may contact Future-ish’s privacy administrator by email at sean.schmidt [at] gmail [dot] com, by telephone at 206-325-0886 or by mail at Webmaster, Future-ish, 6519 Earl Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98117.