October 2014. Future-ish is pleased to announce our fourth annual list of the world's most stylish scientists.
The individuals on our list are changing the world with their innovative research and changing stereotypes every time they make an appearance expressing their oh-so-stylish selves.
Unlike a simple 'best dressed' list, our Stylish Scientist List isn't about trends and expensive labels, its about individuals expressing themselves and their individuality in their life and work. The individuals on the list prove that along with doing fascinating research, scientists are fascinating people, from athletes and techies to chefs and yes...even fashionistas.
We hope that our many and diverse stylish scientists will serve as role models to inspire everyone - from middle-schoolers and the Mom next door to movie stars and musicians - to become inspired, informed, and engaged in the numerous fields of science, technology, engineering, and math that shape our future, as well as help us understand the past.
Looking for even more stylish scientists? Check out Allie Wilkinson's This is What a Scientist Looks Like Tumblr or our Stylish Scientist label with posts from Olya Yarychkivska on her blog, Lunarka's Treasure Box.
Want to nominate a stylish scientist for our next list? Our selection committee looks at 10 diverse variables including things like involvement in science, design, and culture, unique hobbies, STEM advocacy, and of course...a great personal sense of style. To nominate someone, simply send an email with a pic and short bio of the scientist (self-nominations are fab too) to studioF/at/future-ish/dot/com.
The Most Stylish Scientists of 2014
The 2014 list includes a wide range of scientists and researchers, from neuroscientists and archaeologists to physicists and technology experts - and they all prove that it is possible to be a person of both substance and style. Best of all, in 2014 we added ten more individuals to each of our lists.
Who made the list? Who is in the top spot...the world's most stylish scientist? Wait no further, the full 2014 Stylish Scientist List is here.
The 2014 most stylish scientists: Debbie Berebichez and Igor Stagljar.
1. Debbie Berebichez | Physicist, Financial Analyst
2. Marga Gual Soler | Cell Biologist, Science Ambassador
3. Diane Nalini de Kirchkov | Physicist, Jazz Singer
4. Pardis Sabeti | Geneticist
5. Danielle N. Lee | Biologist, Hip Hop Mavin
6. Judy Lee | Engineer, Industrial Designer
7. Ayana Elizabeth | Marine Biologist
8. Crystal Dilworth | Neuroscientist
9. Olya Yarychkivska | Epigeneticist
10. Maile Taualii | Indigenous Health Researcher
11. Vanessa Galaviz | Environmental Health Scientist
12. Dámaris Anell (AKA Violetta) | Molecular Biologist
13. Holly Bik | Computational Biologist
14. Cynthia Breazeal | Social Robotics Pioneer
15. Temple Grandin | Animal Scientist, Autism Advocate
16. Iva Tolić-Nørrelykke | Biophysicist
17. Vandana Shiva | Philosopher, Ecologist, Activist
18. Feryal Özel | Astrophysicist
19. Shivani Bhalla | Conservation Biologist
20. Neri Oxman | Materials Scientist, Designer
21. Nina Tandon | Biomedical Engineer
22. Cathy Davidson | Digital Innovation Researcher
23. Kelly Edwards | Bioethics Researcher
24. Summer Ash | Astrophysicist
25. Kelly Dobos | Cosmetic Chemist
26. Alice Roberts | Clinical Anatomist
27. Kara Cooney | Egyptologist
28. Sasha Kramer | Ecologist
29. Lucie Green | Space Scientist
30. Amy Mainzer | Astronomer
1. Igor Stagljar | Molecular Biologist
2. Pradiip Alvarez | Astrophysicist
3. Brian Cox | Physicist, TV Host, Musician
4. David Close | Fisheries Biologist
5. Jason De León | Anthropologist
6. Don Vaughn | Neuroscientist, Model, Musician
7. Antonio Serrano | Biochemist, Astrobiologist
8. André Fenton | Neurobiologist
9. Howard Rheingold | Communications Researcher
10. Chris Emdin | STEM Educator
11. Wallace J. Nichols | Marine Biologist, Activist
12. Oliver Harris | Archeologist
13. Taylor Wilson | Nuclear Scientist
14. Fiorenzo Omenetto | Biophotonics Scientist
15. Bill Nye | The Science Guy
16. Bobak Ferdowski | Systems Engineer
17. Jarod Miller | Zoologist
18. Dylan Burdette | Structural Biologist, Musician, Biker
19. Travis Taylor | Physicist
20. Nate Ball | Mechanical Engineer
21. Martin Hanczyc | Chemical Physicist
22. Chris Ing | Computational Scientist
23. Kirk French | Anthropologist
24. Aaron O'Connell | Physicist
25. Peter McGraw | Psychologist
26. Kevin Slavin | Game Designer, Algorithm Guru
27. Guillaume Fiquet | Geochemist
28. Dan Hooper | Astrophysicist
29. David Gruber | Marine Biologist
30. Garrett Lisi | Theoretical Physicist, Surfer