The equation for getting young women interested in math just got simplified. In August 2014, Stanford Math Professor Maryam Mirzakhani won the Fields Medal. Considered the Nobel of prize of mathematics, it is the the first time a female has received the award in it's 80 year history, as well as the first time an Iranian has won the medal.
- Carey, B. 2014. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani wins Fields Medal. Stanford News
- Chang, K. 2014. Top Math Prize Has Its First Female Winner. The New York Times
- Coy, P. 2014. How to do math like medal-winning a genius. Business Week
- Dehghan, S. K. 2014. Iranian president tweets bare-headed photo of Maryam Mirzakhani. The Guardian
- Moyer, J. 2014. A woman wins ‘Nobel Prize of math’ for the first time. The Washington Post
- Sample, I. 2014. Fields Medal mathematics prize won by woman for first time in its history.The Guardian